Sunday, December 20, 2015

All That and a Bag of Chips - The Talking Gift Box

The Talking Gift Box


Items Needed for this project:
  1. Gift Box - I used the box that the necklace I purchased came in. 
  2. 5x7 cm prototype board
  3.  64M bit MP3 Voice Module Serial SPI FLASH SSOP24 Amplifier MINI USB for Arduino
  4. (4) momentary switches
  5. 1uF Capacitor
  6. 10uF Capacitor
  7. 7805 Voltage Regulator
  8. 220 Ohm Resistor
  9. 4 pin header
  10. 5mm LED and LED holder
  11. Speaker with 4 pin female header
  12. On/Off Switch

 The 7805 Voltage Regulator was scavenged from scrap parts we had in the club's shop
The piece of aluminum it is attached to made a great heat sink and wire organizer. 

This is the schematic I found to regulate the 9V battery down to 5V to power the MP3 Module

  Here is a great video that shows how the MP3 Module works:

The maker of the video I mentioned above was nice enough to include the
instruction manual in his support files. This image of the pinout is from that PDF
This is a link to go to his support page




 I installed the buttons on the bottom of the prototype board so that they
can stick out of the top of the box and all the components can have room inside the box

 Finished all the wiring.

 I added Velcro to the bottom of the board to allow removal if I wanted to upload different sounds

 Finished the lid. The LED lights up to let you know when the circuit is on.
I got my son to add the sound effects.  He says "Ho Ho Ho" on the Santa Button
"Merry Christmas" on the Christmas Wreath button, "I Love You Mommy" on the Heart
button and "Bonsai!" on the Karate Kid button.

 I hid the speaker and 9V battery under the necklace
 All connected.

 See it in action.


No comments:

Post a Comment